For many of us, eating healthy at any time of year can be a challenge. Then the holidays hit! Parties, travel, shopping… the days seem to fly by. But with a little planning and preparation, we can make sure we’re staying healthy and happy, eating and feeling good about it!
Here are some healthy eating tips to get you through the holidays and feeling good after you eat:
Make room for veggies
This is the #1 tip when you search how to eat healthy over the holidays.
- Vegetables make great snacks and even better side or main dishes
- Did you know that romaine lettuce is a superfood? It’s packed with the highest nutrient value, especially antioxidants. Add your favourite veggies and make a salad or bowl that tastes great and can fill you up when you add proteins like beans or meats
- Avocados are an excellent source of vitamin E and provide you with heart-healthy fats, which help lower your LDL or ‘bad’ cholesterol. Make avocado toast, guacamole for a snack, or add slices of avocado to your meals to support your heart health
- All of The Chopped Leaf’s menu of salads, bowls and wraps can be ordered as suggested, or customized by adding items or modifying to make it your own.
Low energy level?
Need an extra boost to get you through your shopping list?
- Look for meals with healthy carbohydrates that will leave you satisfied and energized
- The Chopped Leaf’s Steak Fajita Salad for example, will boost your energy and satisfy your hunger needs. You can also get it in a wrap or bowl, for a fresh grab and go meal.
- For vegans or vegetarians, beans are a great source of plant protein and quality rich fibre which offer the body fuel. The Chopped Leaf’s Harvest bowl is a delicious, vegan blend of fresh ingredients topped with our crave-worthy tahini, soy and lemon Goddess dressing. It packs a punch with a tasty crunch.
Not enough time?
Don’t skip meals.
- Plan out your day, including your meals
- Prepare healthy meals or snacks at home beforehand that you can eat when you have a moment
- If you’re out, map out a healthy-eating stop along the way. Check out a restaurant’s menu online and even pre-order for pickup
- If you find you don’t have time to cook or pick up, there are a lot of great healthy-food catering and delivery options.
- The Chopped Leaf app and website allow you to order online, including catering, view nutrition and allergen information, and use dietary filters to make your meal gluten friendly, vegan, vegetarian, dairy-free and nut-free.
With a little planning, preparation and thought, the holidays can be a time of healthy eating and joy. Wishing you the very best of the season!